Clostridium Botulinum Type B Toxoid Vaccine for Horses
BotVax® B is a USDA-approved vaccine for the prevention of equine botulism Type B due to Clostridium botulinum in healthy horses.
Clostridium botulinum Type B
- Accounts for more than 85% of equine botulism cases.1
- Strikes both foals and adult horses.
- Symptoms can progress quickly and are usually rapidly fatal.
- Its spores remain viable in the soil for years.
- Any baled hay (round, square, big or small), haylage, or silage products.
- Horses or foals that reside in or travel to endemic areas.
- Horses that travel for shows, races, and other equine events.
- Horses that may sustain a wound, including injection site abscesses, umbilical infections, puncture wounds, and castration sites.
Prevention is your best defense!
- Horses are extremely sensitive to botulinum toxins.
- Timely treatment is critical due to botulism's rapid and severe progression.
- Vaccination is far less expensive than treatment, which can exceed $10,000 with no guarantee of survival.
Simple, safe protection
- Safe to administer to healthy adult horses, pregnant mares, and foals two weeks of age and older.
- Protects against all modes of equine botulism Type B:
- Forage poisoning
- Shaker Foal Syndrome (Toxicoinfectious Botulism)
- Wound botulism
- Included in the American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) Vaccination Guidelines.2
Dosing and Administration
- Shake well before use.
- Three-dose initial series:
- Inject 2 mL intramuscularly, using aseptic technique, at monthly intervals for a total of 3 doses.
- Booster annually with a single 2 mL intramuscular dose.
1 Horses are also susceptible to Clostridium botulinum Types A, C and potentially D.
|Item No.||Description||Case Ct.|
|200181||BotVax B 2 mL - 1 Dose||12|
|200180||BotVax B 10 mL - 5 Doses||96|